Col. Robert Kinney serves as the wing commander for the nearly 1,000 members of the 188th Wing. In his role as wing commander, Col. Kinney oversees all of the 188th Wing’s operations and support functions, as well as manages a full-time force of federal technicians, active guard reserve members, and state employees. The Wing provides decision advantage, strike and combat support capabilities to meet combatant commander requirements worldwide while also supporting domestic operations in times of state or national emergency.
Col. Kinney is a career intelligence officer having held a number of leadership roles at the tactical, operational, and strategic levels. He has served at the major command and numbered air force levels and was instrumental in the stand-up of more than 20 Air National Guard intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance (ISR) units. Col. Kinney has deployed around the world in support of contingency operations in Kosovo, Iraq, Afghanistan, and the homeland having served extensively in the Air Force ISR enterprise, tactical and mobility flying operations, and law enforcement. Col. Kinney is published and prior to his current assignment was the 188th ISR Group Commander at Fort Smith, Arkansas.
1991 Aerospace Propulsion Specialist School, Chanute AFB, Ill.
1992 Associate of Science, Criminal Justice, University College, Bangor, Maine
1994 Bachelor of Arts, Political Science, University of Maine, Orono
1995 Diploma, Maine Criminal Justice Academy, Waterville, Maine
1995 Diploma, Academy of Military Science, Knoxville, Tenn.
1996 Intelligence Officer Training School, Goodfellow AFB, Texas
2000 Masters of Business Administration, Webster University, St. Louis, Mo.
2001 Squadron Officers School, Maxwell-Gunter AFB, Ala.
2006 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell-Gunter AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2010 Intermediate Development Course, Andrews AFB, Md.
2013 Air War College, Maxwell-Gunter AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2013 Cyber Operations Fundamentals Course, 229th Information Operations Sqdn., South Burlington, Vt., by correspondence
2015 Commanders Development Course, Air National Guard Readiness Center, Andrews AFB, Md.
2017 Master of Strategic Studies, U.S. Army War College, Carlisle Barracks, Penn.
2018 Certificate, Leadership in Homeland Security, Kennedy School of Government, Harvard University, Cambridge, Mass.
1. November 1990–March 1994, Aerospace Propulsion Specialist, 101st Air Refueling Wing, Bangor Air National Guard Base, Maine
2. March 1994–October 1995, Intelligence Specialist, 101st Air Refueling Wing, Bangor ANGB, Maine
3. October 1995-November 1995, Student, Academy of Military Science, McGhee-Tyson ANGB, Tenn.
4. January 1996–August 1996, Student, 315th Training Squadron, Goodfellow AFB, Texas
5. August 1996–August 1997, Intelligence Officer, 101st Air Refueling Wing, Bangor ANGB, Maine
6. August 1997–March 2000, Chief of Intelligence, 184th Bomb Wing, McConnell AFB, Kan.
7. March 2000–October 2001, Chief, Counterdrug Analysis Ops, First Air Force, Tyndall AFB, Fla.
8. October 2001–October 2002, Air & Marine Interdiction Coordination Center Counterdrug Intelligence Liaison, March ARB, Calif.
9. October 2002–August 2005, Intelligence Officer, U.S. Department of Justice, Boston, Mass.
10. December 2002–August 2005, Intelligence Officer, 253 Combat Communications Group, Hanscom AFB, Mass.
11. August 2005–August 2008, Chief, ISR Forces Branch, Air National Guard Readiness Center, Arlington, Va.
12. August 2008–January 2012, Director of Operations, 102nd Operations Support Squadron, Otis ANGB, Mass., (October 2008–July 2009, Distributed Ground Station (DGS) Mission Operations Commander, 13th Intelligence Squadron, Beale AFB, Calif.; July 2009–October 2009, DGS Liaison Officer, 609th Air Operations Center, Southwest Asia)
13. January 2012–August 2013, Chief, ISR Plans & Integration Branch, Air National Guard Readiness Center, Andrews AFB, Md.
14. August 2013–July 2016, Commander, 188th ISR Group, Ebbing ANGB, Ark.
15. July 2016–June 2017, Resident Student, U.S. Army War College, Carlisle Barracks, Penn.
16. June 2017–September 2017, Vice Commander, 188th Wing, Ebbing ANGB, Ark.
17. September 2017–Present, Commander, 188th Wing, Ebbing ANGB, Ark.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit
Meritorious Service Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Achievement Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Meritorious Unit Award with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with five oak leaf clusters
Combat Readiness Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Reserve Forces Meritorious Service Medal with eight oak leaf clusters
Outstanding Airman of the Year Ribbon
Armed Forces Expeditionary Service Medal
Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Air Force Expeditionary Service Ribbon with gold border and three oak leaf clusters
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant Nov. 16, 1995
First Lieutenant Nov. 16, 1997
Captain Nov. 16, 1999
Major Jan. 11, 2004
Lieutenant Colonel Jan. 11, 2011
Colonel Jan. 29, 2015
(Current as of February 2019)