Colonel Bobbi J. Doorenbos took command of the 188th Wing Jan. 11, 2015. Colonel Doorenbos now serves as both the wing commander and air commander for the nearly 1,000 members of the 188th Wing, of which more than 300 are full-time personnel. In this dual role as wing commander and air commander, Colonel Doorenbos oversees all of the 188th Wing's operations and support functions, as well as manages the full-time force of federal technicians, Active Guard and Reserve members and state employees.
Before taking command of the 188th Wing, Colonel Doorenbos served as the commander of the 214th Reconnaissance Group, located at Davis-Monthan Air Force Base, Arizona. During this assignment, she was responsible for providing combat-qualified MQ-1 Predator aircrews in support of contingency operations overseas, and domestic Incident awareness and assessment capabilities in the United States. She previously served as chief, Program Requirements and Integration Division, National Guard Bureau Plans and Requirements (NGB/A5) at Andrews Air Force Base, Maryland. She was responsible for the modernization of the Air National Guard's C4ISR, cyber, space, special mission C-130, simulator and Battlefield Airman assets, filling critical combat and domestic capability gaps for warfighters and first responders.
Colonel Doorenbos attended Iowa State University, graduating with a B.B.A. in finance in 1992. She was selected for pilot training by the Iowa Air National Guard's 185th Fighter Wing in Sioux City, Iowa, and received her commission through the Academy of Military Science in 1995. As an F-16 pilot in Iowa, she flew missions in Operation SOUTHERN WATCH and participated in drug interdiction efforts near South America. In 2002, she transitioned to the National Guard Bureau at Andrews AFB, Maryland, where she worked on the Crisis Action Team following the attacks of Sept. 11, 2001. She also continued flying the F-16 with the Washington, D.C., Air National Guard, participating in Operations NOBLE EAGLE and IRAQI FREEDOM. She has held a number of positions at NGB including executive officer for the deputy director, ANG; chief of the Deployments Execution Branch (ANG/A3XO); White House fellow; executive officer/speechwriter for the ANG director; chief of the Airborne ISR Division (NGB/A2C); and most recently, special advisor to Vice President Joe Biden for Defense Policy and Intelligence Programs. She is currently on military leave from American Airlines. Colonel Doorenbos is a senior pilot with more than 1,200 hours in the F-16C.
1992 Bachelor of Business Administration in finance, Iowa State University, Ames, Iowa
2004 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell-Gunter AFB, Ala.
2007 Master of Science in strategic intelligence, National Defense Intelligence College, Defense Intelligence Agency, Bolling AFB, Md.
2008 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell-Gunter AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2012 Air War College, Maxwell-Gunter AFB, Ala., by correspondence
1. June 1997 - January 2002, F-16 pilot, 185th Fighter Wing, Sioux City, Iowa Air National Guard
2. January 2002 - June 2002, Air National Guard Crisis Action Team (ANG/XOX), National Guard Bureau, Andrews Air Force Base, Maryland
3. June 2002 - August 2003, executive officer to deputy director and chief operating officer, Air National Guard, National Guard Bureau, Crystal City, Virginia
4. September 2003 - April 2005, Chief, Fighter Deployments (ANG/XOXO), Air National Guard, National Guard Bureau, Andrews Air Force Base, Maryland
5. April 2005 - August 2006, chief, Deployments Execution Branch (NGB/A3XO), Air National Guard, National Guard Bureau, Andrews Air Force Base, Maryland
6. September 2007 - August 2008, White House fellow, U.S. Department of Agriculture, Washington, D.C.
7. September 2008 - June 2009, executive officer/speechwriter to director, Air National Guard, National Guard Bureau, Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
8. July 2009 - May 2010, chief, Airborne Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance Division (NGB/A2C), Air National Guard, National Guard Bureau, Andrews Air Force Base, Maryland
9. May 2010 - June 2012, special advisor to the vice president for Defense Policy and Intelligence Programs, Office of the Vice President, White House, Washington, D.C.
10. June 2012 - June 2013, chief, Program Requirements and Integration Division (NGB/A5P), Air National Guard, National Guard Bureau, Andrews Air Force Base, Maryland
Rating: senior pilot
Flight hours: more than 1,200
Aircraft Flown: F-16C, MQ-1B
AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit
Defense Superior Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Air Force Achievement Medal with oak leaf cluster
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant April 1995
First Lieutenant April 1997
Captain March 2000
Major March 2004
Lieutenant Colonel Aug. 2008
Colonel June 2013
(Current as of November 2017)